Monday, July 6, 2009

Best Picture Redux

Morning all!

I know this is very old news, but I've been asked by several persons my thoughts on the recent announcement by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the group that holds the annual Academy Awards, on allowing an additional five films to be nominated for Best Picture, thus bringing the total number of Best Picture nominees to ten. I've determined that this blog would be the best forum for me to express my opinion.

When I first heard this news, I was genuinely surprised; the Academy is not known for being ahead of the curve or willing to change in any fashion. I became excited about the Oscars (I'm always excited about the Oscars, but rarely this passionately this early), and I'm still looking forward to this awards season, though I'll be looking at most of it from across the pond.

Personally, I'm excited for this change; some freshness is needed in the ceremony, and I'm sure other film lovers (at least those who don't loathe the Oscars) are excited as well. I think more people within the general public will pay attention to this year's race due to the "newness" of circumstances; that is, attention not only in terms of ratings, but in curiosity on how the new nomination practices will work out. If this change doesn't work, the Academy Board of Governors can always change the format back to the way we knew it for sixty-five years.

I am worried about a few things, though. While many critics and bloggers are worried about blockbusters being undeservedly nominated, I'm more worried about a trend that popped up in the 1930's, when the Academy still had ten Best Picture nominees: films that garner one nomination, Best Picture. In fact, Grand Hotel (1932) still holds the dubious honor of being the only Best Picture winner to be nominated for that award and none other. True, more categories exist now than did in the 30's, but there is still a chance a shrewd campaign can get a nomination for Best Picture without any other nominations.

The most noteworthy (and probable) example from recent past is the film Bobby; this film got a Best Motion Picture Drama nomination from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association and a Best Cast in a Motion Picture nomination from the Screen Actors Guild, yet on nomination day, it received no nominations, not even a Best Original Song nomination. I fully believe based on two such nominations from a guild and a critics association, Bobby would have been nominated for Best Picture had the ten nominee system been in existence. Nothing can guarantee that more nominees will be a success, but time will tell.

The worst part of this plan is the Academy's decision to move the honorary Oscar presentations to a separate banquet to be held this fall; I heartily disagree with this. In this regard, we are talking about persons in the cinema from various crafts who deserve this recognition (including some woefully overlooked talent, both on-screen and off); critics have noted that some of the most touching, honest, and memorable moments of each Oscar night lie in those honorary awards! It is an insult to deny these men and women their due honor.

In ten years, I may look back with either support or regret at my support of the Academy's decision; hindsight, mind you, is 20/20. I have high hopes for this, and I sincerely wish they won't be dashed come next Oscar night.


1 comment:

  1. I mostly agree with you. I hope your comments are enjoyed by all. it does give us food for thought.

    ReplyDelete